I’ve been watching pundit after pundit talk about how they didn’t see the enthusiasm for Obama that they did in 2008 and were therefore confused by the turnout on election day.
I think they don’t quite understand what Obama did in 2008. He didn’t just give speeches that showed him as a charismatic, intelligent leader, he educated us. And while I was involved with politics before (my father was a politician and I worked on several campaigns, including extensively in 2004), I never saw my peers caring -deeply caring- about the elections before 2008. But after Obama we cared about politics - not politics, actually, issues.
And once you care about issues you don’t go back.
And the issues haven’t changed much since 2008. Gay rights. Middle class. Women’s rights. Those are things that my peers care about.
We weren’t polled because we’re not considered likely voters. Oh, those 18-32 year olds? Especially the childless ones? Who cares what they think. But we do think. And we do vote. And we vote our values - liberal values. Even my husband, one of the least political people I know (weird, right?) was calling people on the eve of the election, reminding them to vote, talking to them about issues, and making an effort.
While I’ll always be an Obama true believer, I love how he awoke a generation to politics, showing them that they can effect change, that yes we can make a difference in our future.
And that’s my favorite thing about Obama.
Very well said.
- afastlittlefilly likes this
- econtacted likes this
- coobsboobs reblogged this from andasfortakingitinstride
- andasfortakingitinstride reblogged this from reagan-was-a-horrible-president
- florizel36 reblogged this from truth-has-a-liberal-bias
- brawlermedia likes this
- allthethings07 likes this
- the99strikesback likes this
- recall-all-republicans reblogged this from truth-has-a-liberal-bias
- mar-see-ah likes this
- trxfreely likes this
- catarmies likes this
- librarianpirate likes this
- librariansdoitinthestacks reblogged this from dendroica
- furthest-city-light likes this
- timekiller-s likes this
- onionhighonionandrenown reblogged this from reagan-was-a-horrible-president
- teennakedmodels likes this
- sylvie-tr95 likes this
- staticwaltz likes this
- icantafford2chainz likes this
- tsarbucks reblogged this from mar-see-ah
- screamingcreaming reblogged this from reagan-was-a-horrible-president
- greater-good-blog reblogged this from 6dogs9cats
- lobstahpotts reblogged this from truth-has-a-liberal-bias
- recall-all-republicans likes this
- nataliefuckingdormer reblogged this from truth-has-a-liberal-bias
- precedentsforpresidents likes this
- viviano reblogged this from sarahlee310
- viviano likes this
- noraleah likes this
- icansayraxacoricofallapatorius likes this
- newmanedeni reblogged this from reagan-was-a-horrible-president and added:
- laa-dolcee-vita likes this
- jeremyjohnstone likes this
- darling-tsarevich reblogged this from mar-see-ah
- odinsblog likes this
- fivedozencats likes this
- queermerooooar reblogged this from reagan-was-a-horrible-president
- queermerooooar likes this
- onionhighonionandrenown likes this
- littleblackkittycat likes this
- randycwhite likes this
- theknitter reblogged this from reagan-was-a-horrible-president
- theknitter likes this
- nohetero likes this
- bymyselfdanceparty likes this
- knowncitizen likes this
- austnmoon reblogged this from reagan-was-a-horrible-president
- austnmoon likes this