At ESPN we are aware of three offensive and inappropriate comments made on ESPN outlets during our coverage of Jeremy Lin. ESPN Statement On Lin Comments
ESPN issues statement apologizing for inappropriate comments made on ESPN outlets during coverage of Jeremy Lin and details disciplinary action. Watch Saturday we apologized for two references. We have since learned of a similar reference Friday on ESPN Radio New York. The incidents were separate and different. We have engaged in a thorough review of all three and have taken the following action:
• The ESPN employee responsible for our Mobile headline has been dismissed.
• The ESPNEWS anchor has been suspended for 30 days.
• The radio commentator is not an ESPN employee.
We again apologize, especially to Mr. Lin. His accomplishments are a source of great pride to the Asian-American community, including the Asian-American employees at ESPN. Through self-examination, improved editorial practices and controls, and response to constructive criticism, we will be better in the future.—
That was fast (at least by big media company standards).
- bryanboova likes this
- palmtreepalmtree said: Fast but awful. For all the joking about how Jeremy Lin’s name has been turned into easy wordplay headlines, it is pretty shocking to me how quickly his race was used against him in headlines.
- palmtreepalmtree likes this
- lickypickystickyme likes this
- nathanieljams likes this
- evangotlib posted this